Source: Daily News Egypt
The Ministry of Foreign Affairs announced on Sunday that the Egyptian Consulate in Benghazi, Libya secured the release of 20 Egyptian Copts from Libyan authorities. The ministry also said that 23 Egyptian citizens are still in Libya.
It was reported on Sunday that around 100 Egyptian Copts had been detained and allegedly tortured by Libya’s Preventative Security forces, charged with illegal immigration.
Deputy spokesperson for the ministry Nazih El Naggary said on Sunday that Minister Mohamed Kamel Amr contacted his Libyan counterpart, Mohamed Abdelaziz. The pair discussed “the need to find a solution to the issue of Egyptian citizens who are still detained in Libya”. Their conversation occurred following the testimony of the church pastor, who had suffered “a vicious attack”.
“The Libyan minister felt sorry for what happened, calling it unacceptable,” said El Naggary. He also reported that the Libyan minister said a “crisis ......